You’ve mapped out your road trip and have selected spectacular destinations and attractions to explore. However, what’s the best way to travel from Point A to Point B?
According to the Caravan Industry Association of Australia, the camping and caravan industry in this country is valued at $23 billion dollars, directly employing around 53,000 individuals. Indeed, it is easy for anyone to find transportation that will fit their budget and lifestyle needs.
If you want to ensure comfort while traveling, quality camper trailers and caravans are a must-have. Whether you want a luxurious home-away-from-home or you prefer roughing it out, there are plenty of vehicle options for you.
Now, you might be wondering whether a caravan or a camping trailer is better for traveling around Australia. Well, both options have unique advantages and disadvantages which we’ll discuss in this article.
What Is a Caravan?
A caravan is a towed vehicle that you’ll find in various shapes and sizes. It provides luxurious accommodation on the road and doesn’t require any setting up. After all, everything you need is already inside.
With a caravan, you will also have a small kitchen and a separate bathroom. While caravans are compact and made of aluminium sheets, they can still be heavy to tow.
Usually, manufacturers fit caravans with either two single beds or a double bed. They can also include kitchen appliances like a range hood, stove, and microwave. Suppliers can also design a caravan with off-road capabilities. You can expect features like higher ground clearance, all terrain tyres, advanced suspension systems, stronger cabinetry, and a heavier chassis.
What Are the Advantages of a Caravan?
- Quick and simple set up
- Adequate storage space which includes a multitude of cupboards and a full-sized fridge
- You can install air-conditioning, a bathroom, and even a television
- You can have the caravan fitted with flyscreens to keep the dust and bugs out
What Are the Disadvantages of a Caravan?
- Caravans are typically more expensive than camper trailers
- They can be heavier to tow, which also means you’ll need a more expensive and heavier vehicle
- Caravans can consume more fuel
- It can be more challenging to park and store a caravan
What Is a Camper Trailer?
A camper trailer is towed the same as a caravan. While it is not as luxurious as a caravan, it offers the essentials for traveling on the road. You’ll have some storage, a bed to sleep on, and a small kitchen. Usually, they can be fitted with canvas sides and roofing, allowing fresh air through.
You’ll typically find three types of camper trailers. The basic soft-floor camper with a tent section that you can fold out and an internal frame that you can extend when setting up. Another type of camper trailer is the hard-floor camper. This one comes with a fold-over lid that you can use as a bed or floor base.
You may also find wind-up roof campers. If you’re really after a caravan but you’re on a tight budget, you can go for this option. It has a similar interior and you’ll even discover models with an indoor kitchen, bathroom, and dining area. You can even customize the camper trailer accessories according to your liking.
What Are the Advantages of a Camper Trailer?
- A camper trailer is more affordable than most caravans.
- Because it is lighter to tow, it is more fuel efficient.
- It is safer to tow because it gives you more rear visibility and less fishtailing.
- It provides better ventilation.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Camper Trailer?
- There is less space inside a camper trailer compared to a caravan.
- Unable to install heating or air-conditioning in the trailer.
- No built-in shower or toilet.
- Less storage space compared to a caravan.
How to Choose Between a Caravan and a Camper Trailer
If you usually go for shorter stays and trips and you’re not frequently moving, then a camper trailer is a great choice. However, if you want to be comfortable during longer trips, a caravan is a better choice for you. It can provide you with the luxuries of a home while you are on the road.
Even so, the decision all boils down to your personal preferences. If you’re still struggling to choose between the two, you can ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you going to travel with young children or babies?
- How many people are you bringing with you?
- Is your vehicle capable of safely towing a caravan or a camper trailer?
- Do you prefer going off-road or do you want to stick to spots that are easier to access?
- Do you regularly go on long or short trips?
- What do you want or need to bring with you?
Some Safety Tips When Traveling with a Caravan or a Camper Trailer
Australia is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful countries in the world. You can drive around and witness unique wildlife, gorgeous beaches, and stunning scenery. However, whether you’re towing a caravan or a camper trailer, you’ll need to be safe on the road. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Use a reliable vehicle – Do your due diligence before packing up and leaving. You’ll need a vehicle with enough horsepower to tow your caravan or camper trailer. If you’re planning to go off-road, make sure that your vehicle can take the beating.
- Get car insurance – Make sure you update your car insurance before heading out. Aside from protecting your vehicle, your insurance will give you peace of mind. You’ll know that damages, collisions, acts of vandalism, theft, or other risks will be covered.
- Prepare for the drive – You should know the parking regulations in the caravan or camping spot you’re going to. Moreover, to stay safe, rest well before making the trip. It would also help if you took a caravan towing course.
You will never run out of places to visit in Australia. However, you need to decide whether a caravan or camper trailer will fit your budget, needs and preferences. Moreover, you must ensure that you have everything you need before the trip.
For caravan accessories and camper trailer gear, don’t hesitate to contact a Supex stockist near you.